Etowah County, Volume 2 (Images of America)

Etowah County, Volume 2 (Images of America)

Mike Goodson, Bob Scarboro

Language: English

Pages: 44

ISBN: 2:00285877

Format: PDF / Kindle (mobi) / ePub


Overview

Etowah County Volume II traces the history of everyday citizens in this Alabama community.

Largely derived from the collections of local photographers Bob Scarboro and Hugh Hall, the images in this volume depict the county's championship sports teams, the drive-in theaters and restaurants of the post-World War II era, and the mansions that once lined Forrest Avenue.

Also included are two rare and seldom-seen photographs—the old dummy engine of the streetcar line that ran from Gadsden to Attalla, and the wooden dance pavilion located beneath Noccalula Falls at the turn of the century.

Who Was George Washington?

Dark Tide: The Great Boston Molasses Flood of 1919

Personal Memoirs (Penguin Classics)

American Eve: Evelyn Nesbit, Stanford White, the Birth of the "It" Girl, and the Crime of the Century

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

photograph shows one of the early American Bakeries bread trucks. Later known as Merita Bakery, the American Bakery was located in the 500 block of Broad Street before moving to First Avenue, and was a part of Etowah County for more than 60 years. The original site of the American Bakery is the current home of Fuller Medical Supply. This picture was taken at the Alabama Furnace Company in North Gadsden in 1880. Several pig-iron furnaces such as this one were found in the surrounding area in the

Gadsden area. The Lay home is the present site of the Alabama Power Company offices in Gadsden. The Erwin family is pictured outside of their home in East Gadsden during the early 1900s. This beautiful home was typical of the early homes in the Etowah County area. East Gadsden did not become a part of the Gadsden city limits until the mid-1920s. Note the two large horses and the plow in the picture. Nine PASTIMES During the early 1960s, the “General” visited the Gadsden area. A famous

Moragne Park near the banks of the Coosa River. The Sea Scouts were very active in the area at the time, but the many cabins located throughout Etowah County have since been torn down. Pictured here is the Attalla Gun Club, with the clubhouse shown in the upper portion of the photo and many of the group’s members posing in the lower portion of the photo. Many private clubs such as this one have been formed in Etowah County during the 20th century. Captured in this scene from the 500 block of

southwest side of Fourth Street. (Courtesy of Hugh Hall.) Downtown Gadsden was a busy place during the mid-1920s. The corner of Broad and Fifth Streets was a very popular area with Vance Drug Store and the White Palace Cafe. Hill’s Grocery was located next to the White Palace Cafe in the building that housed the Alamo Theatre and later the Lyric Theatre. The Cafe, complete with its beautiful art-deco entrance, is still located on Broad Street. Turrentine Avenue is one of the most beautiful

years. Small locally owned and operated motels and filling stations have all but disappeared over the years with the coming of the large chain operations. The Philipson Building is shown here under construction. This seven-story office building was later known as the Noojin Building and is located on Chestnut Street. The original building, located between Fifth and Sixth Streets, was built in front of the old Gadsden General Hospital. First Presbyterian Church of Gadsden is located next to the

Download sample

Download